My observations from today…
1. There are flowers EVERYWHERE. ‘Window’ boxes on the sides of the interstates, huge ‘trees’ made from stacks of potted flowers alongside the sidewalks, flowers in the medians. It is amazing.
2. And next to the flowers is DIRT. Everywhere. It is disgusting. There is no litter – I have yet to see a piece of trash on the ground. But dirty, dirty, dirty. Everything is covered in this film of dirt. When you come home after being out you have this layer of dirt on you. Cars are covered in dust. I have no idea where it comes from but it is there – and no one seems to care.
3. Construction is out the whazoo. I have never in my life seen so many building being constructed. At least 10 skyscrapers are being built just in the few city blocks where we are. And when you drive to the other parts of the city it is just the same. Absolutely amazing. A two year old boy’s paradise!
4. The food is gross. I mean really, fish heads? Heads of anything are not meant to be eaten.
5. People. Thousands. Millions. It is unbelievable how many people are in this city. 17 million actually. People everywhere. It doesn’t matter what time it is, where you are, they are swarming. I don’t know about the one-child policy in terms of Christian theology, but I can certainly understand how the government would need to do something. I have never seen so many people in my life.